[cochiselinux] talks for meetings

  • From: cochisecc/prevettl <prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 15:27:49 -0700 (MST)

At the last meeting we discussed having some short
talks at the beginning of meetings. Terrel is the only
one that has given a talk (on Forth) so far, and I thought that
went pretty well. Some topics that got tossed around were:

Home Security -
   (Jeff, can you do an 'impromptu' talk about this on Sunday?)
Command Line Basics
Downloading/Installing Software

What things are people interested in hearing about?

I thought that one of the things that made Terrel's talk
interesting was that there were some 'hands-on' things
we did with the computers in the room. We downloaded
software, unzipped it, installed it, used it, etc. So
a 'talk' doesn't necessarily have to be a formal lecture,
just some kind of organized presentation.

In addition to talks on things that members request, I
would like to sprinkle in some talks on traditional
Unix-type things that members should know something about.
These topics could be repeated on a yearly rotating basis for
new members. I'm thinking of things like:

Apache Web Server
Unix Shells
X Windows
DNS
Security
Mail (servers/clients)
Databases
Programming
Networking

We wouldn't have time to cover these topics in detail,
but everybody could hear the buzzwords and get some ideas
out of it.

What do people think about this?

I asked Gary Seamans from UA/south if he could talk. He
said he'd come to the next meeting just to see what is
going on. There is at least one author of software books
in the area. We might be able to get him to talk.
There are some other people from TFUG/UA Tucson that would
probably give talks. Heck, we might even get Eric Raymond
or J. Bizarro to show up.

The 'bring your own box' sessions seem to be a valuable
thing for people. So how do we maintain that and still have
talks? Tom suggested we start talks about 30 minutes into the meeting
(~7pm) and go for about 25-40 minutes. That way people would
have time to get in and get some initial things settled (Tom can get
his downloads started). If the talks are short enough, we
would still have time to break off and do/finish some byob
stuff after the talk is over.

Well, send a post if you have any thoughts about this.

lp