[cochiselinux] meeting 08/08/04

  • From: "Prevett, Larry" <Prevettl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:54:02 -0700

Here's what went on at the meeting on sunday night.

Clyde wanted to download SUSE 9.1 from the ftp site,
so we went through all the steps for that.
We downloaded the cdrom boot iso, burned it, and ran it.
It was necessary to load the network card module from
the install menu and enter the ftp address and path
(pub/suse/i386/9.1) which we got from from ftp.suse.com.

Debra was looking at a microbiology educational
software CD using RH9. Worked fairly well, all the powerpoint
slides loaded in Openoffice, and all the html links
loaded in Mozilla when you clicked on them.
The Macromedia Flash and Java links also worked.
The only thing that didn't work were the web sites that had
'Macromedia Director' content (no plugins for
mime-type x/director).

Ben was having trouble with a new Mandrake 9.0 installation.
It was hanging during the boot process waiting for eth0
to come up. He doesn't use a network card at home so we
just set "onboot=3Dno" in
(same as in RedHat) and that fixed that.
There were also some irq conflicts between
the cdrom, the network card, and the video card.
We just changed some CMOS settings to fix that.

That's about all we had time for. Somebody
had heard some rumors about Sun Microsystems
'buying' Novell. Haven't heard anything about
that at all???

lp