[cochiselinux] Re: laundering a hard disk

  • From: Jeffrey Denton <dentonj@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:41:36 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Dick Sears wrote:

> I have a Dell 8200 nbk with a 30 GB hard disk, currently loaded
> with an apparently pirated Windows XP, which I wish to delpart,
> fdisk, and format into an 18 MB partition for W2k and a 12MB
> partition for Red Hat 9.  My efforts have been fraught with failure,
> since every effort to delpart or fdisk or format C: is denied by the
> XP OS.  I'm scolded for wrong DOS version, and various types of
> odious behavior.  My resources are various Win98 boot disks with
> fdisk and delpart added. Neither is said to be OS dependent.

There are several ways to do this.  Using MS's tools in not one of them.
The easiest way would be to download tomsrtbt.  http://www.toms.net/rb/
It's a floppy based Linux distribution.  You can create the floppy in
windows.

1. Boot off of the floppy (you may need to change the BIOS)

2. After you login, run 'fdisk /dev/hda'

3. Delete any existing partitions (type 'm' for help....)

4. You can create the new partitions, or you can boot off of the Windows
2000 CD.  Windows will treat the harddrive as an unpartitioned,
unformatted drive.

5. Install Windows 2000.

6. Install Linux.

7. Decide how you would like to boot into Linux.  You can use GRUB which
can be setup to boot into Windows.  You can create a boot disk and use
that to boot into Linux.  Or you can use a windows based program called
bootpart to boot into Linux.  http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

8. Enjoy

The other way would be to boot off of the Red Hat CD and load Linux
first.  This tends to run the risk of losing the Linux install when you
try to install Windows.

dentonj