[cochiselinux] Router/Firewall on 16mb of ram

  • From: Tyler Milam <tylermilam@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cochiselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 01:45:47 -0700

Can anyone suggest a solid BSD or GNU/Linux distro suitable as a firewall
(directly facing the internet and exposed to all) that will run well on 16mb
of ram? The cpu is fine...its 160mhz. Plenty. But 16mb of ram just isn't
cutting it on FreeBSD. I need more memory than that just to be able to
unpack .tbz's. The hard drive is making some noise, but seems to mostly work.
(disk thrashing?). I get errors from the cdrom if the disc I'm using is even
slightly worn.

Because FreeBSD doesn't seem to be performing well (I've been trying to
pkg_add -r emacs for the past 30 minutes and its still resolving
dependancies) I'm considering trying NetBSD next.

Thanks,

Tyler Milam