[coaches-us] Re: We are not alone ...

  • From: Mark Melonson <mark.melonson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: coaches-us@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:17:33 -0500

All,

I have attempted not to weigh in on this subject, however have found it increasingly difficult as the thread has progressed. I'm sure that we all realize that as 1Touch Coaches we represent persons with multiple backgrounds professionally, as well as relating to the martial arts. My oppinions are based on my professional and martial experience and are not meant to step on anyone's toes so to speak. I also apologize if this response is a bit lengthy, however anyone who knows me would not be surprised by this.

This guy seems like an accomplished athlete and a credit to the sport of MMA. He has obviously shown great dedication prior to losing his sight and as the video suggests, has continued to do so through his teaching endeavors. We certainly need coaches who are dedicated to their training, as well as growing their understanding and ability to convey the foundational principles and techniques a la 1Touch™.

In the course of this video two messages stood out and the editing made me feel they were somewhat conflated. The first being that the sport of MMA is accessible to the blind. The second was that the sport of MMA provides solid foundations for teaching self-defense. There are of course blind and low-vision MMA practitioners. Some who have participated in both amateur and pro leagues. Let us assume that his training is readily transferrable to his students. Is the curriculum designed to create MMA fighters or teach self-defense? If both, I would suggest that the two are quite disimilar, as it relates to our approach to assessing the situation and avoiding escalation and unforseen variables (pun unintended).

I hope he finds some degree of success, but cannot foresee meaningful cross-polination, as it relates to further development of the 1Touch™ curriculum. Being a Jujitsu practitioner, I can attest to Professor Nicholls proficiency regarding ground and all other aspects of the art. I did not catch anything in the article stating this guy's teaching credentials, but that brings us back to the above premise.

Ground strategies of the MMA fighter are designed with a set rules of engagement, which in many training scenarios do not take into account real world situations. Engaging with an attempt to end up on the ground provides many more variables that have to be taken into account, many of which are not typically modeled in groundwork training. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for groundwork training, such is quite extensive in Jujitsu, however I don't see how such would fit in 1Touch™ curriculum. I would also question the focus on techniques that were designed for a ring or cage, when we are not likely going to be attacked in such an environment. If we find ourselves out and about there will also likely be no rules preventing the assailant from hitting below the belt, biting, eye-gouging, small joint manipulation, fish hooking, pulling out keys or a weapon, and let's not even discuss willingly getting on the ground on concrete, gravel, in a crowd of people or when there is the potential of multiple assailants.

Then there is the process of getting someone on the ground via throw or takedown and of course learning how to fall yourself. If learning such is something you are interested in, I would highly recommend finding a quality instructor. Becoming proficient in such will take several years of dedicated training and even moreso to become a recognized and qualified teacher of such.

Regards,
-Mark

On 10/8/2017 10:13 AM, Stephen Nicholls wrote:

Exactly.
Same problem we have all the time, explaining the basics to “professionals”.
I have just the man for the job, aka Brando Collins.
Well spoken, Stephen.

On 6 Oct 2017, at 12:51, Stephen Handschu <stephenhandschu@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:stephenhandschu@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

*/Hi all, of course it would be great if this, clearly impressive person, has something we could learn and benefit from. It would also be great if he recognized that our system could benefit him. Cross fertilization and all that. Not so simple to get there in my experience. Steve if you want to take some coaches to south Africa, I want to go. Having said all that, the video shows him to be a highly trained athlete, and contains a lot of boxing. Maybe useful if you were a talented boxer before you went blind, as he was. But not at all helpful for the average blind person, who is our target constituency./*
*//*
Stephen Handschu
Tel. 773-209-4539
www.handschusculpture.com <http://www.handschusculpture.com/>