[cmax-security-group] CLM , FW1 , CMA

  • From: "Security Operation Center" <soc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cmax-security-group@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:07:09 +0530

Hello Ramesh,
I am back in the office.  Yes, you should be able to forward logs from multiple
firewalls to a single CLM.  Here are the steps you should perform to set up
this configuration.  I'm sure you have performed some these because you are
able to log from the COMSAT FW. The configuration for the customer FW should
use the same steps.

 Define the CLM
 Establish SIC communication from the CMA to the CLM
 Define the firewall object on your CMA
 Select the Logs and Masters option
 Select the Masters option and include the CMA as a master
 Select the Log Servers option and include the CLM as a log   server
 Establish SIC communication from the CMA to the firewall
 Install a policy on the firewall that allows log traffic   from the Firewall
to the CLM
 Install the user database on the CLM (this must occur every  time you define a
new firewall)

On the firewall, the $FWDIR/conf/masters file should look something like
this:
 [Policy]
 CMA-Perimeter
 [Log]
 CLM-Perimeter
 [Alert]
 CLM-Perimeter

Do you see connection requests to port 257 leave the firewall?  TCPDUMP on the
FW will show this if the policy is allowing the traffic and you can verify the
source and destination addresses.  The log traffic will be sourced from the
licensed interface address.  Does the CLM network have routing to the licensed
interface network? If this traffic is leaving the
FW, is it reaching the CLM?

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

 Andy Latimer
 Lockheed Martin  C&NS
 Office:  (407) 306-4678
Author: "Latimer, Andy" <andy.latimer@xxxxxxxx>
Date:       6/21/02 9:11 PM

You are very welcome.  I enjoyed working with you and all the other
international sites and have no problem providing assistance when possible
in the future.  As far as your CLM problem, this sounds like a problem we
encountered when we were testing the NG MLM component.  NG components all
talk to each other using SIC communication and require knowledge of the SIC
name of all components they talk to.  This name is located in the objects.C
file and this file must be pushed from the management station to the log
server.  I believe what you must do is select the "policy" option from the
policy editor window and the select "install users database".  This should
provide a list of objects that are defined with Check Point products.
Select the CLM and run the install.  I believe this will allow SIC
communication and enable logging.  It took us a while to figure out how this
works.  Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

 Andy Latimer
 Lockheed Martin  C&NS