[citw150] Lesson 3 Question 5

  • From: "Matthias Bell" <matthias2b@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 17:36:50 -0400

 Really getting a lot of attention recently are "phishing" scams. Any e-mail
that tries to get bank account or credit card information are considered
these.  This link has information and a few examples
http://www.scambusters.org/phishing.html[1]. They also talk about one
"phishing" scam e-mail in particular that I got a few months ago. You can
find it here: http://www.scambusters.org/ebay-scams.html[2]. It's a credit
card one they name as 'Citibank c2it'. It looked so professional and
actuallydid use a Citibank logo! I didn't worry to much about the e-mail
because I had been warned previously never to give account information or
credit card information in response to an e-mail asking for them. The credit
card companies or banks won't ask you to update information over e-mail.
AND,when in doubt, do it the old fashioned way - call the company to find
outfor sure!     Matthias Bell matthias2b@xxxxxxxxxxx[3]   "I don't want to
believe. I want to know."  -Carl Sagan
--- Links ---
   1 http://www.scambusters.org/phishing.html