[citw150] Re: CITW150L6Q6

  • From: Curtis Cooper <lesson3email@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 17:10:36 -0800 (PST)

Interesting observation. I actually didn't get that impression. My thoughts on
the security of telnet are really no different than any other protocol really.
Perhaps you feel this way because of the primitive feel of it given it's
text-driven nature?

I haven't read many technical articles on the security of telnet, but perhaps
that would be something to look into.

Melissa Brown <brownm3188@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Telnet allows a person to connect
to a remote computer.    It also tells what commands will take place. For
instance if you need to copy images or files and transfer them.  Telnet is not
used as widely now because of security issues.   Telnet does not protect from
people being able to "listen in " on conversations, it also has no way of
knowing that material did not get picked up by a third party when sent.  These
are a couple reasons that Telnet is not widely used anymore.  I found this
information on : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TELNET
  and also at : http://www.elated.com/tutorials/management/unix/basic/

  I practiced using Telnet by visiting telnet://140.147.254.3 this is the
Library of Congress's Information System .  This  was actually very easy to
use, all I had to do was type in the numbers.  The only problem that I have
with using telnet is I feel like nothing is secure.  You have no way of knowing
that people are not accessing your information.  I do not think it is secure
enough.

  Melissa Brown

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate -
Click now to apply

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $310,000 Mortgage for $999/mo -  Calculate new
house payment