[citw150] CITW L3 Q5

  • From: r b <rmblcc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 05:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

I thought I'd respond to the societal issue about
patents.  The reason why I chose this is because the
book mentions Unisys and the Gif file format.  Since
the book had been published, IBM had been granted part
of the patent rights as well or something, but even
those just recently expired.  The good thing that this
means, is that as of October 1st of this year, the GIF
format is now finally free of patents.  I found this
out from the url
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1772  From
the sounds of things though, Unisys may still try and
come up with something to try and stop this.

-Robert Benavides

"Young men think old men are fools; but old men know young men are fools."
-George Chapman

http://mail.yahoo.com