[cisb102su01] Cisb 102 lesson 4 question 4

  • From: "Andrea Daniels" <swim4u_us@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cisb 102 listserv" <cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:51:13 -0700

Andrea Daniels
swim4u_us@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Question 4

Telnet allows me to remotely access a computer over the Internet. I can tell
that computer to create, edit, execute and delete files just as if I was
sitting at that computer. I found this information at
http://oregonstate.edu/aw/tutorials/telnet/
I practiced my telnet at telnet://140.147.254.3.  I learned that the arrow
keys re your friend. They are about the thing that gets used the most. The
arrow keys really take the place of the mouse.
It was really neat to be able to enter in another system without having to
be there.
The following is what I retrieved from the Library of Congress information
system:

                  SCORPIO SEARCHING BASICS

 SCORPIO was initially developed as a retrieval tool for some Congressional
 bills and resolutions.  Other files became available with SCORPIO retrieval
 features during the 1970's and 1980's.

 SCORPIO provides browsable indexes, creation of sets, various displays,
 Boolean combinations, several ways to refine or limit search results, and,
 in some files, word searching and some right truncation with proximity.

 The LOCIS files that are searchable with SCORPIO contain the following
types
 of records: federal legislation, copyright registrations, and Braille and
 audio materials for persons unable to read print.