[cisb102su01] CISB 102 Lesson 4 Number#4 Telnet

  • From: "Heidi Snow" <todnheidi@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "LCC Listserv for Lesson 3" <cisb102su01@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 20:04:56 -0400

 This is what I learned about Telnet:
You can tell another computer to create, edit, execute and delete files just as
if you were sitting at that computer. To use telnet you must have a telnet
program ( a telnet client) resident on your local machine and you will need to
get a TELNET APPLICATION to login to your host.  Most ISP's ( Internet Service
Providers) will not allow telnet access!! I was denied access to several of the
Telnet addresses we were given as choices.  (Iâ??m uncertain which of these
were due to my ISP/MSN restrictions and which were not?)  I learned some of
this information at this at this site:
http://www.useforesite.com/tut_telnet.shtml
I practiced Telnet (once I got connected!) at two places: the Library of
Congress because I enjoyed  Lynnies comments about what she found there.  I
also practiced at the Telnet Fedworld.gov found at
http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/doc/eegtti/eeg_110.html#SEC111.
I didn't have any trouble (although this site is huge) and I saw that they have
information there on available Federal Job openings, which is cool. (I work for
the State of Michigan now.) They also have IRS publications, tax forms, etc.
You have to create an account to use their system, which I did.