[cisb102sp04] CISB102 L3Q5

  • From: "Janet Przystas" <jprzystas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CISB102 Listserv" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:15:28 -0500

The hoaxes I chose to focus on are those that affect or are about financial
institutions.  The hoax that specifically affected Bank of America was from May
2003 and is included below.
I feel that one of the worst things that can happen to a consumer is to have
their financial information stolen and used.  I view it as a violation of some
of our most private information.  It can lead to mistrust and misconception of
the safety of financial institutions which, in my experience, actually have
some of the most rigid privacy standards.  Monies stolen in this manner are not
often recovered and typically, the consumer's credit history and rating are
adversely affected.  Aside from the major amount of work to correct a credit
rating, the consumer now does not have the same ability to buy a car or home as
before the theft.

A couple of web sites that refer to the Bank of America instance are:
http://www.scambusters.com/Scambusters63.html

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScams.shtml#boa

Bank of America hoax from May 2003. Dear Valued Customer,- Our new security
system will help you to avoid  frequently fraud transactions and to keep your
deposited funds in safety. - Due to technical update we recommend you to
reactivate your account.  Click on the link below to login and begin usingyour
updated Bank of America account.To log into your account, please visit the Bank
ofAmerica website at:https://www.bankofamerica.com/index.htmlTo review your
statement, log into your Bank ofAmerica account and click the eStatements &
eNotices button in the left navigation of your Account Summary page. Your new
statement is listed in the left navigation of the page.If you have questions
about your online statement, please send us a Bank Mail or call us at
1-888-BKONWEB (256-6932). We appreciate your business. It's truly ourpleasure
to serve you. Bank of America Customer Care This email is for notification
only. To contact us,please log into your account and send a Bank Mail.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Janet Przystas
jprzystas@xxxxxxxxxxx