[cisb102sp04] Bad Guy - Hoax

  • From: "Debbie Jackson" <walkerlynn37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cisb102sp04" <cisb102sp04@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:53:04 -0500

I chose the "Scare Chains" hoax to write about.  These are e-mail hoaxes that
claim to be a warning for women.  They talk about incidents of women being
attacked in the same form.  The one I remember well is the "bad guy in the
backseat."  I remember this well because I believed it and took great
precaution (which wasn't necessarily a bad thing) because of it.  The "Bad Guy"
hoax  tells of women who stopped to purchase gas and a man would slip into
their backseat.  The story sounded plausible.  I used to receive at least three
of these types of emails a year.  Although these messages are hoaxes and
annoying, the precautions women were asked to take was good advice.  The
website at http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBScareChains.shtml#backseat is a great
source of information on these types of hoaxes.

D. Lynn Walker
walkerlynn37@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"To ask a hard question is simple," W. H. Auden