[cisb102a] CISB 102 A - Lesson 4, Question 4

  • From: mary shellenbarger <mary_shellen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cisb102a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:00:17 -0800 (PST)

Telnet is a way to remotely login (connect directly)
from your computer to another computer.  This is done
via the Internet?s TELNET Protocol.  Therefore,
provided you have the correct access and security,
Telneting allows you to give the other computer
commands so that you can create, edit, execute, and
delete files as if you were sitting at a terminal
connected to that computer.  To Telnet, you are
usually required to sign on as a ?guest?; but, some
Telnet systems are setup to automatically log you in.

To practice using Telnet, I used:
telnet://140.147.254.3.   This logged me into the
Library of Congress? Information System.  On the
initial screen which is text based, you were given
several choices, instructed to chose the appropriate
number, and press enter.  Some of the choices were: 1
? Copyright Information, 8 - Searching Hours and Basic
Search Commands, and 9 ? Library of Congress General
Information.

I chose ?9? to get the General Information.  This gave
a brief description of the Library of Congress, phone
numbers and their Web site.

From this site, I learned Telnet is not as user
friendly as using the Web, it seemed to be limited in
the amount of information that could be displayed, and
that I would probably never use it again unless I had
to.