[cisb102_vc] FW: CISB102, Assignment #4, Question #4 Marie McPhee

  • From: "mcphee" <mcphee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ListServ (E-mail)" <cisb102_vc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:03:12 -0500

Clear Day
-----Original Message-----
From: mcphee [mailto:mcphee@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 1:47 PM
To: ListServ (E-mail)
Subject: CISB102, Assignment #4, Question #4 Marie McPhee

In doing my research for telnet, I found a web site at
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/netting/telnet/tstart.html that gives the history
of Telnet and how you can use Telnet.  Telnet is is a type of program called
a terminal emulator, which allows you to use your computer as a direct
terminal connection to another host computer on the Internet using the
TCP/IP protocol.  Telnet allows you to access a computer using a login and
password and run programs, play games, or access databases.    There are
some public databases where you do not need a login or password.

I did log in at the IPAC Extragalactic database, at telnet://134.4.10.106,
but after logging in, I was lost.  I am so used to pointing and clicking and
being able to navigate that way, it felt like I was going back in time using
Telnet.  In this site, you have to use your arrows to navigate.

I wasn't able to log in to the Library of Congress.

According to this web site, a lot of the Telnet sites are disappearing
because of the World Wide Web.

-- Type: image/jpeg
-- File: Clear Day Bkgrd.JPG