[ciphershed] Re: Organization structure?

  • From: Niklas Lemcke - 林樂寬 <compul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:00:25 +0800

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:35:29 -0400
Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 7:57 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I prefer for CipherShed to remain an unincorporated non-profit for
> > now, though when we do incorporate, it should not be in the US.
> > Someone with expertise in the local laws of whatever country hosts
> > CipherShed will have to be involved.
> >
> > I like what I have read so far about Adobe's PMC structure.  Perhaps
> > we could start with a simplified version and grow from there?
> >
> > The PMC structure seems similar to many co-ops.  Co-ops typically
> > elect board members each year.  I think eventually, we may want a
> > structure like that, but right now, how many actual contributors do we
> > have?  Isn't it something like 10-ish people?  While that is large for
> > a board, it seems silly for 10 people to vote for 5 of us to be on a
> > board.  We have only six "authors" listed on the web site, and that is
> > certainly not too many for an initial steering committee.  There are
> > people missing from this page, who are contributing.  Should we ask
> > that to have a vote, contributors need to allow us to list them on the
> > About page?
> >
> > I also continue to feel strongly that we need geeks who can verify and
> > protect the code base to be responsible for the code.  I think we
> > should have a "security team" for this.  This would be people willing
> > to sign that they have personally verified releases, and likely
> > includes most of us who write code to start.  This team should not try
> > to do the job of the steering committee (or whatever we call it).  It
> > should instead narrowly focus on security, but should have the final
> > say over code-related issues.
>
> I tend to agree with Bill. I think we should define a specific
> "security team" to manage security and related issues. I do think our
> project is too small right now to have a full-blown Project Management
> Committee right now, but maybe that is something we should start
> establishing now so when we do need it in the future, it'll be there.

Not sure if I understood correctly. Security Team next to a PMC, or for
now just a Security Team, which later may be expanded to a PMC-ish
structure?

Pls help clarify :)

--
Niklas

At the time of writing, no warrants have ever been served to me, Niklas
Lemcke, nor am I under any personal legal compulsion concerning the
CipherShed project. I do not know of any searches or seizures of my
assets.