[cinemaexp] Re: SCREENING/MEETING REMINDER; UPDATED LIST; AGENDA

  • From: Clif Graves <cgraves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinemaexp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 18:03:53 -0400

Sorry folks, Laurie and I will not be able to make it. More work to do on the Maya proof that we have wished.

Clif

On 10/31/2016 03:32 PM, Joel Johnson wrote:

Hi Everybody—As you should be aware we are meeting tomorrow (*Tuesday, November 1^st *) and the meeting will start ½ hour earlier than usual at *9:30 am* to allow us to screen “COMING THROUGH THE RYE” before we meet to discuss our film series. If the screening gives us a favorable impression of the film, we may be able to have a rare new English-language film in the series.

I have gone over the list I sent out last week and removed several as I threatened to do. The list went from 65 to 41. We have a manageable number of alternatives as far as foreign-language films, English-language films, and classic films. We have not really done much of anything to significantly reduce the number of documentary films under consideration. I may have left some out, but we have only discussed a handful of these films and really haven’t addressed any of them as not warranting further consideration. I have used bold print to highlight the eight or so films that have been suggested for inclusion in the final series either by someone on the committee or someone outside the committee. I am hopeful that we can start winnowing the documentary films down to a more manageable number.

While the total number of slots has traditionally been six, how we choose to break down those six films is our decision. In the past we have usually divided the six primarily between foreign-language films and documentaries. We have usually used a single slot for either a classic film or a new English-language film. Frequently, the classic film was our English-language film. I’m not sure if we have had both a new English-language film and a classic in the series at the same time. We may or may not want to follow those past tendencies, but they have allowed us to bring to Railroad Square lots of films that wouldn’t typically be seen by Central Maine audiences either at the theater or as part of their home viewing diet.

It is likely that we will not have quite as much time for our discussion as we might wish. So we will need to be as efficient as we can in our discussion tomorrow. I already know that the Graves have an appointment at 12:30 and my wife has her second (of three) meetings tomorrow at 1:15.

I am hopeful that we can make some decisions on some of our films without needing to screen them. Screenings may be helpful in answering particular questions about choosing between some of the films, but we don’t have the time to set up screenings for a lot of films. Obviously, if we wish to set something up I would need to ask Ken for help in getting that going.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing you tomorrow, seeing what I hope is a fine film, and then having a terrific discussion.

Joel

--
-
    Clif Graves Consulting