[cinc] Fwd: Basking Shark sighting Calif.

  • From: paul petrich <ppetrich39@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 09:15:48 -0700

Collegues,I am sharing a reply from < basking.shark@xxxxxxxx . . Scroll to the very interesting attachment that explains tagged studies from 2010 > 2011 off our So Cal Coast. It also has an historical overview of the Baskin Shark’s plight which included a Canadian government supported eradication from the 1940s to 1970. This resulted in up to 2,600 lost ( to protect the salmon fisheries ).The Basking Shark range was thought to be historically from SE Alaska to tip of Baja CA. To report the location of this sighting I sent a photo of the skipper’s longitude/latitude reading along with photos of the shark. Paul

Begin forwarded message:
From: Basking Shark - NOAA Service Account <basking.shark@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Basking Shark sighting Calif.
Date: April 28, 2022 at 11:27:42 AM PDT
To: ppetrich39@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Owyn Snodgrass - NOAA Federal <owyn.snodgrass@xxxxxxxx>

Thanks Paul!
Very cool! We started getting reports a few weeks ago of multiple sharks seen about 30 miles offshore in Mexican waters... from your report it appears they moved into the coast and north a bit!
I've attached a publication we wrote on the results from 4 sharks we satellite tagged off Southern California back in 2010 and 2011. Let us know if you have any questions or see any more sharks!
Cheers,
Owyn
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 1:44 PM <ppetrich39@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
4/25/2922 @ 12:30 pm > see location photo > 23’ > One > Slow moving surface feeding