[cinc] CX 3/30

  • From: Robert Warner <robert.warner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 17:58:07 -0700

Condor Express March 30, 2019

9am - 1130am

Two juvenile Grays just off East Beach

Four more off Coal Oil Point - all traveling steadily

One Humpback briefly seen on the way back, one fluke and gone

Pod of about 75 Common dolphins, always a crowd pleaser.

Lots of passengers, nearly all from California and Colorado. One couple from Britain. All satisfied and happy with the sightings and the weather. I was alons for this trip.

12pm - 3pm

Very large crowd, again mostly from California. Also South Korea and Spain. Weather slightly bumpier, but no one noticed because of the sightings.

A very large school of Anchovies being fed upon by hundreds of common dolphins, dozens of sea lions, and countless pelicans, cormorants, and Western gulls. And two Humpbacks, constantly lunge feeding, fluking, and rolling, always with a contingent of dolphins riding their bow wave. A fantastic sight.

Bruce Matthews along as PID, and he helped out with the upper deck introduction while I did the cabin. He got applause, I didn't.

Thanks to Captain Dave, Assistant captain Colton, and deckhand Jill for great spotting and commentary.

--
Robert Warner
Dept. Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology