[cifnmedia] Ground broken for fire station addition

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 11:21:12 -0800 (PST)

Ground broken for fire station addition

Copyright 2003 Paddock Publications, Inc.
Chicago Daily Herald
 December 3, 2003, Wednesday Cook,Lake

Using the same shovel that broke ground for the existing station 23 years ago,
Marguerite Turpel did the honors for the Long Grove Fire Protection District's
new wing Tuesday afternoon.
Turpel's son, Fire Chief Robert Turpel, called the addition the culmination of
a series of promises made when the fire district - one of two serving Long
Grove - went to referendum two years ago.

Those included boosting the full-time staffing, increasing salaries for
staffers, increasing benefits to full-timers and upgrading equipment.

"We have done all that," Turpel said. "This is the last component of those
promises we made, and I think that says something for this district, that we
made our promises and we fulfilled our promises."
The 2,800-square-foot addition to the 11,000-square-foot building at 1165 Old
McHenry Road will cost $1.4 million. It should be finished within 10 months. It
will be financed with a loan paid with proceeds from the referendum.

The addition will offer firefighters new living and dining quarters and
lockers. The existing building will be remodeled to serve as the district's
administrative offices.

Guests at the groundbreaking included state Sen. William Peterson, state Rep.
Ed Sullivan Jr., and Lake County Board members David Stolman and Michael
Talbett. Also attending were Jim Monroe, president of the fire protection
district board; Long Grove Trustee Susan Klein, and her husband, David Klein,
secretary of the fire protection district board.

One guest who was there for the groundbreaking 23 years ago was Carl Roscher,
the fire protection district board president at the time.

"At that time it was all volunteer," he said. He said the existing fire station
was built because no one could get to the old station at Old McHenry and Robert
Parker Coffin roads because of traffic. Another problem was parking for the
volunteers, who would park at Mel Towner's gas station.

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet