[cifnmedia] Fire Marshall to Look for Cause of Robinson Blaze

  • From: Sean & Kimberly Aaron <cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CIFN LIST <cifnmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:01:24 -0700 (PDT)

Fire Marshall to Look for Cause of Robinson Blaze
( Air Date: 8/13/2004 )
Quick action by firefighters saves a city`s courthouse square from going up in
flames.

It was a busy day for firefighters in Robinson, Illinois.

City firefighters were on stand-by from a fire at the Marathon Oil Refinery
late Thursday afternoon when they got the call to rush to another blaze in the
city`s downtown.

Fire crews responded to the call at Fashion Footware on the northwest corner of
the courthouse square.

When they arrived, the inside of the store was filled with thick smoke.

Firefighters from six departments worked to strike the flames and keep the
blaze from spreading to adjacent businesses.

Robinson Fire Chief Darrell Akers said, "We had some heavy brown smoke, which
we knew would be an interior structural members fire. So we got a couple
two-and-a-half inch lines off, did an interior attack, called for mutual aid
from the rest of the county. And the guys done an excellent job, got it under
control."

There were no injuries.

The store suffered extensive damage and there was smoke damage to some upstairs
apartments.

Chief Akers says the state Fire Marshall will be called in to sift through the
rubble and help determine what started the blaze.

Sean A. Aaron (CIFN*1)
Central Illinois Fire Network
cifn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.geocities.com/central_illinois_firenet