[chaoscope] Re: [image] ZarbiPlanet Unravel

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 18:36:02 +0100

Hi François, hello all,

Rendered at maximum possible iterations. Unravel usualy require more iterations than others attractors sets. This is precisely the case where it could be useful to dispose of your extra-bit wasted by signed integers values used by iterations counter, Nicolas ;-)

If you don't get a satisfying result after 2 billions iterations, there's little change it will improve after 4 billions, especially on a full-sized attractor.

The best way to know if the orbit covers the attractor uniformly is to make a Gas render. If the Brightness and/or Gamma have to be increased so that all of the attractor can be clearly seen, regardless of the view angle, then you've got a bad candidate for Solid mode. In your case, most of the orbit hits concentrate on the Y axis.

Best clients in my view are IFS because of the nature of the equation (the weighted random selection of the matrices).

But I can wait the v2.5. It's like a telescope (hence it's name...), Gallileo was happy with his little instrument but with the actual version of Chaoscope we just have direct acces to at least the Palomar telescope! Not too bad for a v0.2 ;-)

Thanks, give it another 50 years and we'll reach Hubble stage. :-)

Even with this "restriction", the number of possible interesting discoveries is virtually infinity. More than this, I'm not very sure that double iterations would result in a finer picture. In effect, the picture didn't change so much on the last quarter of an hour of rendering. It is maybe just a mathematical restriction, strictly due to the attractor, not a chaoscope one ;-)

I've attached a neighbour to your attractor, where only half of the "outer sphere" is covered, albeit more visibly.

Nicolas Desprez

P.S. : to the non-French speaking subscribers, "Zarbi" means "bizarre" in French street slang, which partly consists in swapping syllables. Chaoscope would therefore become "Oskapeuk".

JPEG image

attractor {
        type unravel
        parameters <0, 0.00666666666666667, -0.12, 1.2,
                    3, -0.07, -0.133333333333333>
}