[chaoscope] Re: Chaoscope Iterations

  • From: Kay Dekker <kaydekker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:42:38 +0000 (GMT)

Matthew Lyons said:

> Thanks Kay, I really appreciate the tip.  I'm going to archive that.  That
> really takes
> a long time though.  Oh my...  I didn't think my computer was that slow...

Glad to help!

Actually, it's not often that you do need the maximum number of iterations. The
only times that I tend to really crank up the numbers are if the parameter
values are very close to a critical point for an attractor (ie, moving any of
the value sliders even a little way produces big changes in the attractor) and
if I'm rendering in solid mode and want as smooth surfaces as possible.

Then again, the granular effect in solid mode with smaller numbers of
iterations can sometimes produce exactly the right effect...

I really ought to get my act together and submit some of my work to the
Chaoscope Gallery so that I can use them as examples of what I'm talking about
:)

BTW, if you actually are interested in how relatively fast or slow your
computer is, do have a look at the Benchmark page on the Chaoscope site. It
gives you full instructions on how to benchmark Chaoscope on your computer, and
then you have the pleasure of submitting your results to Nicolas to put on the
page!

Best wishes,
Kay