[cdvdburn] Re: Subscribing to cdvdburn mailing list (fwd)

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 23:25:53 +0100

Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sense to me.
>
> The first requested I reply to a 'subscription confirmation' email,
> containing some commands to perform subscription. Thats understandable,
> requiring a distinct action from the supplied email address of the
> potential subscriber.
>
> The next email with the title 'Ecartis command results: subscribe'
> contained the text 'subscription confirmation ticket set to user being
> subscribed'. Again understandable, and interpreted by me as a successful
> subscription.

The second mail was probably sent first - it just tells you that Ecartis is
going to process a subscribe request.  It gets sent to the person who asked
for the subscribe to be done.

The first mail (probably sent after the going-to-do-it one) asks the person
who's supposedly going to be subscribed to confirm it.

They have a cryptic set of commands in them, basically an initial statement
saying here's a "job" ie a batch of commands, then an actual command which
you might see spread over two lines, then something saying that's the end of
the set of commands.

When you reply to the confirmation mail you have to make sure that the reply
doesn't destroy the original layout of the commands.  This means, for
example, removing "> " quoting that your email program probably adds.  I
also remove signature text.  Also the command to confirm the subscription
typically has some giberish in it.  That's the "cookie" and its value has to
be as Ecartis expects when the command is returned.  If the command is
spread over two lines the end of the first line contains (if I remember
correctly) a slash or backslash character which is an indicator to Ecartis
that it should read the stuff on the next line as well.  If the \ or / gets
lost the process does not work.

> However, this was followed by another email with the message 'no such
> cookie or else cookie is of the wrong type.' among other other text. So
> is my request to subscribe successful or not?

It wasn't.  This is what happens if the reply has been sent back with its
format changed.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own