[cathbraillemusic] introductiion

  • From: "Peter Mercia" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cathbraillemusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:55:52 +1000

Hi Theresa and list.

Please let me introduce myself and give you a short incite into my musical
background.

My name is peter I reside in Sydney Australia.  I have been totally blind since
birth.  I started playing piano at the age of 3 but took professional lessons
at the age of 6.  At this early age, prior to learning Braille music I
performed most of my music by ear I still do but find Braille music an
important tool. Also I would like to add that I have perfect pitch, witch is
also a useful skill to have.    I'm always
down on my canters about the singer as they sing either flat or sharp.  With my
piano studies, I obtained eight  grade.

My introduction to playing in the catholic church commenced in 1979 at st.
Edmunds school for the blind.  I played organ for three masses a week and
undertook organ lessons during this time.
Moving to the present, I have played in our parish of st. Mary's for about
three to four years now.  Two of my friends who play organ along side me are
trying to introduce other musicians to the proper liturgical way the mass
should be done with some opposition.

With my experience, playing in this parish some of the problems that I am
recounting are obtaining music for traditional hymns,I either have to download
them on you tube or my friends play them for me.  secondly, getting my canters
to learn the hymns and thirdly and I hope that this not off topic my canters
indicating to me when to commence playing certain things for example the
acclamations and when to cease playing hymns.

 I will say, that my two organist friends are verry supportive and assist me as
much as they can rather than my canters. Mind you, a couple of the canters that
work with us claim they have a musical knowledge but they don't as I have
discovered.

 Unfortunately this is rather sad.

Pete