[cas_announce] Mapping Our Moon Thursday Sept 15th A the COC

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:42:20 -0700 (PDT)

Mapping Our Moon

Thursday September 15th

7-9pm

$ Free

Seated is Limited.  Reservations Required

Call 513-321-5186 or email craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Seeing into the Dark Craters of
the Moon"

The large antennas used to communicate with
spacecraft exploring our solar system can also be used as a radar system to
image planets, near Earth asteroids and the Moon.  Dr. Wilson’s talk will
present measurements of the North and South Poles of the Moon, including the
frigid floors of polar craters where the sun never shines. These craters may
well be valuable resources of water for future lunar explorers.

Barbara Wilson started her career in
quantum physics research at Bell Labs and then moved to the Caltech Jet
Propulsion Laboratory where she managed various technology development and
space instrument projects, and served as the lab's chief technologist.
 She also served as the chief technologist for the Air Force Research
Laboratory under an intergovernmental loan.

She holds a PhD in physics, is a Fellow of
the American Physical Society, and was elected to the International Academy of
Astronautics.

Her contributions have been recognized with a
Bell Labs Exceptional Contribution Award, two NASA Exceptional Achievement
Medals, and with the Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service and the
Meritorious Civilian Service Medal by the USAF.

Hope to see our CAS colleagues on the 15th.

Craig

Craig Niemi

Executive Director

Cincinnati Observatory Center