[cas_announce] Cell tower light across from the DSS

  • From: "Patrick Freeman" <pfreeman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Announce CAS_" <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:50:49 -0400

Hi All,

This weekend, I was out at the Adams County Dark-Sky site with Larry Luke
and Jeff Wilson.  When it got dark, we quickly realized that the new AT&T
cell tower across the ridge from the observing field was malfunctioning and
was blinking both red and obnoxious, bright white.  It lit up a very large
part of the south-eastern sky, and with clouds and moisture it covered even
more.  The only partial saving grace was that because we'd set up at the
lowest part of the field and on the lower pad, the trees in that direction
blocked the brightest part of the tower light itself.

Saturday, Jeff and I drove over to the tower and took down the contact
information for the company that is responsible for it and I left a, shall
we say, "very direct" voice message about the trouble it was causing.
Today, a gentleman named Louis from the tower company called me back and
left a very apologetic voice-mail and promised to get it corrected within
24-48 hours.  I rang him back and thanked him for the quick response.  He
again apologized, and during our discussion it became obvious that my call
on Saturday was the first they'd received.

At any rate, hopefully that tower light will be once again back to normal
and blinking ONLY faint red at night very soon.

For the club's future reference, here is the contact information for the
tower company:

Skyway Towers

Dunksinsville Ohio tower

Side ID OH-08847

FCC # 1282906

Contact number 1-813-960-6222

The guy who is responsible for it is Louis, at 1-813-298-6783

BTW, I mowed the entire site on Friday afternoon, and after fighting with no
less than three nylon-line trimmers on Saturday, finally got one of them to
run, intermittently, long enough to knock down the worst of the remaining
area.  And for a change, no repairs (other than charging the battery) were
necessary to the riding mower!

-- Pat Freeman