[cas_announce] CAS & Tricounty Mall IYA events October 2009

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:09:21 -0700 (PDT)

We have been approached by the PR folks at Tricounty mall to participate in
their IYA 2009 event; "The World at Night".

TWAN is a worldwide exhibition of photographs featuring international landmarks
set to celestial backgrounds. The exhibit will run from Saturday October 3rd
thru Saturday the 18th. The Art Institute of Ohio will also be participating
with a student art exhibit. part of their projects is to design 4' x 4' posters
as a part of the display.

They would like from CAS (and FOTO if they are interested) :

Astrophotos taken by CAS members the Art Institute students could use as part
of the art project.
Astrophotos taken by CAS members for a display.
Society information and brochures
Any equipment we would like to display.
Host two stargazes on the mall grounds.

The TWAN exhibit will be in one of their vacant storefronts and be open mall
hours 10a-9pm M-Sat and noon to 6pm Sundays. It would be secured at all other
times.

The opening reception would be Saturday October 3rd from 10am to 1pm followed
with a Harvest Moon stargaze from 7:30 to 9:30 on the mall grounds.
Saturday the 10th from 1 to 4pm we would offer solar viewing.

Both Saturdays feature other activities in the mall and children's activities
in the exhibit location.

This is a tremendous opportunity to promote the Society but it will need your
participation to make it successful.

We'll need members to:

Donate images for the Ohio Art Institute for their poster project
Assemble and hang an exhibit of member's astrophotos.
Participate in the opening reception for the exhibit
Bring telescopes to the Saturday 3rd evening stargaze
Bring telescopes to the Saturday afternoon solar viewing
If you can help out just let me know which area(s) you would like to
participate in.

We'll be meeting with them this Friday and should have more details soon.

Thanks,

Craig
Terry
CAS-Outreach Co-Chairs