[cas_announce] CAS Ft. Ancient Field Trip 9/15/2012

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Announce CAS_ <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

Journey Back in Time to Fort
Ancient

Join your fellow CAS members Saturday morning September
15th for an exploration of Ohio’s most significant archeo-astronomical
site.

Fort Ancient features 18,000 feet of earthen walls built
2,000 years ago by American Indians who used the shoulder blades of deer, split
elk antler, clam shell hoes and digging sticks to dig the dirt. They then
carried the soil in baskets holding 35 to 40 pounds. Portions of these walls
were used in conjunction with the sun and moon to provide a calendar system for
these peoples.

The site offers beautiful vistas along hiking trails as well as the remains of
the prehistoric mounds for CAS members to explore. The Museum at Fort Ancient
contains 9000 sq. ft. of exhibits, including many interactive units, focusing
on 15,000 years of American Indian history in the Ohio Valley.

Our outing will include presentations by Fort Ancient’s
site manager Jack Blosser and CAS’s own Tom Kloecker. We’ll explore the park
and trails looking for solstice and equinox markers. Be sure to bring a compass
as we’ll be taking our own measurements. Our visit includes a picnic lunch on
the historic grounds. We’ll go across the river to Camp Kern and see what the
snake effigies are doing. Scheduled activities will run about a half-day but
you’ll be free to stay and explore more on your own afterwards.

This is the first CAS outing we’re offered in quite some
time. Check out the information below and sign up early for some learning, fun
and comradery. Group size is limited to 30 participants.

For CAS Members and
Families:

Saturday September
15th

Meet at Fort
Ancient 9:45am

$20.00 per Person

Includes admission, parking and box lunch (Choose one:
Asiago Roast Beef, Smoked Turkey & Bacon or Mediterranean Veggie sandwich)

Registration,
lunch choice and payment (cash or check) required by September 7.

Make checks
payable to Cincinnati Astronomical Society.

No refunds after Sept.
7.

Rather than mailing in your lunch choice and payment, see me at this Friday's
CAS Member
meeting.
Hope you can join us!
Valerie