[cas_announce] CAS 2nd Saturday Aug 10 8pm @ CAS HQ

  • From: Craig Niemi <craig_niemi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CAS_Announce <cas_announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:28:24 -0400

Open to the public, scouts, teachers and of course, CAS members, friends and
family.
Have meteorites? Bring them along to display!

Rocks From Space!

On any clear night you might see a handful of “shooting stars” streaking across
the night sky. Long ago people thought the stars were actually falling from the
sky. Now we know these brief streaks in the night sky, called meteors, are tiny
bits of solar system debris most of it smaller than a pea. Entering the Earth’s
thin upper atmosphere at tens of thousands of miles an hour, heat from friction
completely vaporizes the intruders. Much of this debris comes from the tail of
comets.

On the morning of February 12, 1947 startled witnesses reported seeing a
fireball brighter than the sun streaking across the Russian skies. Traveling at
over 31,000 miles an hour the meteor plummeted down to 15,000 feet where it
violently exploded from the stress of the heating and atmospheric shock. Over
more than a half a square mile area debris impacted the ground leaving 80 foot
diameter craters 20 feet deep. This was something much bigger than comet dust,
It is estimated that the meteor weighed over 200,000 pounds before it exploded.
How often does this happen? Russia was visited by another space rock just this
past February 15th. An event captured by many video cameras.

Join the Cincinnati Astronomical Society Saturday August 10th from 8:00 to 10pm
for a family program on Rocks From Space!
• Presentation by Dr. Kendall Hauer, Director of Miami Universities’ Limper
Museum.
• Get up close to spectacular Rocks from Space!
• Learn what meteorites are made of.
• Hold in your hands rocks older than our Solar System!
• Does Ohio have its own Meteor Crater?
• If there are meteor showers can there be a meteor storm?
• Can you hear a meteors?
• Find out how best and where to see the meteor showers.
• Did you know you can collect “rocks from space” at home?
• View through the Society’s big telescopes! (weather permitting)

Saturday August 10th
Program begins at 8:00pm.
Viewing follows after dark (weather permitting)
Free Admission; Donations appreciated.
Open to all ages.
No reservations required.
All events are held at The Cincinnati Astronomical Society
5274 Zion Rd. Cleves, OH 45002   (near the Mitchell Memorial Forest)

Visit our website and Facebook for a listing of all our public, scout and
school events for 2011.
http://www.cinastro.org

For more information and teacher resources:
http://www.cas.miamioh.edu/glg/museum/
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets
http://nineplanets.org/meteorites.html
http://stargazersonline.org/