<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V3 #121

  • From: GLENNRPH@xxxxxxx
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 18:13:03 EDT

Hi List!
Yes, always SCAN prior to running anything...I prefer to use 2
antivirus scanners just in case 1 might not be able to detect some
malware contained!  As for repairing the MBR, the only method I
have used with success is to run FDISK /MBR at a DOS command
prompt...not in a DOS box in ANY version of Window.  That should
replace a bad MBR with a more or less "generic" MBR that will
allow the HD to initialize and boot to the OS.
Good Luck!
FWIW--I have been fortunate in most of my file downloads...my
daughter did get hold of a macro virus some 5 or 6 years ago while
chatting in an AOHell chatroom...that one wiped everything out for
me, and I ended up replacing motherboard, RAM, HD and re-installing
MS DOS 6.22 with Win31, live and learn.  This particular site has
given me problems only with completing the download ( I did a couple
of trial d/ls), the d/l gets to about 80% then "Server reset connection"
error appears in browser...hmmm...Marty, your download was fully
complete, wasn't it?  Anyway,
See you later!
Glenn

In a message dated 09/15/02 2:01:17 AM Central Daylight Time,

<< Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:39:14 -0500
 From: Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: <CT> Re: Warning about abandonware MSoffice 4.3

 Marty, I think the message in here to the rest of us is the old
 song-and-dance -- "Scan, scan, scan ..."

 Antiviral monitors running in the background are fine, but nothing
 really beats the old-fashioned method of scanning a file first for
 viruses before using it ... and that with **current** viral definition
 files! ... especially when you're installing a new-to-your-system
 program.  I use FProt for DOS on this system (which has only DOS and
 Win3.1 on it), so I don't even use background antiviral monitoring.
 But I scan everything regularly, as well as downloading every new
 definition file as soon as it's released.  By the way, sign up for
 e-mail notification if you're not set up for automatic updating.  It's
 a useful prod if nothing else.  But whatever brand of antiviral
 program you use, do it regularly and do it often.

 As for your specific recovery questions, I think I'll leave that for
 others.  What about it folks, any guidance here for Marty? ...

 Norm

 P.S.  Abandonware is not the only source of infection. My only bad
 infection, a few years ago now, came from a factory-sealed program
 that I bought direct from the software company that produced it. >>

GLENNRPH
Glenn Gilbreath Jr.
Registered Pharmacist
http://members.aol.com/GLENNRPH/glennrph.htm