<CT> Re: calmira_tips Digest V2 #25

  • From: JGrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx (Stephan Grossklass)
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:13:14 +0100

> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:59:45 -0500
> From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: <CT> Re: Calmira in standard mode

> John wrote:
> > I have a 286 16MHz board laying around with 4-30 pin slots.  I also
> > have more than enough 1 meg 30 pin simms laying around.  Maybe sometime
> > next weekend if I have some extra time, I will try to put it together
> > back into a computer and see if I can get win3 + calmira running...  It
> > woud be interesting anyways <g>
>
> Shouldn't be a problem at all. Win 3.1 but NOT WIN 3.11 will run just
> fine on it. (the core of win 3.11 is 32 bit)

IMO the following versions of Windows should run:

Windows 3.1
Windows for Workgroups 3.1
Windows 3.11

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is likely to run (win/d:t), but is not much
use in standard mode - no COM ports, no LPT ports, no 32 bit file
access.

> The 286 is a true 16 bit computer. SIMMs must be installed in *PAIRS*.

Just as in a 386SX, which also has a 16 bit data bus externally.

> The 286 is one of the most under-appreciated chips in the world.
> Its only real flaw was being born in an XT world... The problem was that
> once you switched the beast into Protected Mode, there was no turning
> back... When you are in that mode you could run a fully modern operating
> system.

Well, you can run OS/2 1.x, Minix (you mentioned those two later) and
DOS with Windows 3.1/3.11/fW 3.1, of course.

> Unfortunately it offered no facility to run virtual machines for
> all the legacy software, a facility that was featured on the 386...

As well as virtual memory (what would today's OS be without it?), a
non-segmented 32 bit address space and other stuff.

> Also note the 286 has a 24 bit address bus so the theoretical maximum
> ammount of memory is 16 megabytes.

Just as with a 386SX, which also has an 24 bit address bus externally.

> There is a very good chance that your system will indeed support 16
> megabytes.

I'd say that depends on how old the board is and what it cost when it
was new. 1 meg modules are normal for 286s.

Stephan
--
Stephan Großklaß (7bit: Grossklass)
eMail: mailto:jgrossklass@xxxxxxxxxxx | Webmaster: http://www.i24.com/