<CT> I've got problems with my squeaky thing.

  • From: "Steve Kirk" <steve.kirk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:18:31 -0000

I've just got myself a wheel mouse for use with Win3.11
and Calmira. It's a Genius NetScroll+ and as usual,
the software that came with the thing is all for Win9x
and up. I've found the 16bit software for it; Nsp31w31.exe
which installed NetScroll version 1.17.01. It works quite
well most of the time and makes a big difference with the
likes of Netscape etc, but I've got a few problems with
it:

The only applications the scroll wheel won't work with is
IE 5.0 and Acrobat reader 3.0. I don't care much because I
don't use them a lot.

Quite often, when I quit an application, NetScroll comes
down with a GPF. It's not a big problem because I have
NetScroll in my tray and it always restarts in a flash.

The major problem is with selecting a block of text. If I
click at the start of the text, drag to the end, and then
release the button, half the time the text selects and half
the time, the entire block unselects. Sometimes, I have to
try several times before it will work.

I'm starting to get fed up with this. The only thing I can
think of at the moment is some sort of conflict with the
display HW/SW. There is not much I can change in this area
because it's a Compaq Deskpro 2000 with on-board Cirrus.

Has anyone else got one of these beasts running on win3.11?
Or, are there any other wheel rodents available with 16bit
software?
__