<CT> Calmira 3.2 on the way

  • From: Erwin Dokter <edokter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 23:04:18 +0100

Hi gang,

I have two new features added to Calmira, but the wishlist is still so
long, and some of those features on the wishlist are pretty complicated.
I feel however, that I am slowly nearing 'completion' of my development
cycle. The reason why? I think Calmira has grown up to be a usefull
program. Personally, I am quite content now with how the program is
functioning.

This may not be your idea... :)

I wish I had put a little more speed into Calmira's development. If I
would have really put the time into it, I could have released Calmira in
it's current form two years ago. Hell, think what impact it would have
if it were released when windows 95 came out...

Anyway, I feel the 'pressure' for more features, but is there really a
pressure? Last month alone, two people translated Calmira 3.1a into
French and Italian. The list is quiet enough though, not much complaints
here.

I'll keep adding features when I feel like it, but I'm not going to set
myself any deadlines anymore, that actually gives me stress and 'writers
block', which isn't helping.

So, let's look at what little has been happening, and look at the
wishlist.

Completed features:

+ File Change Notification
  (Now Icon windows are refreshed automatically when files are
   created, deleted, modified etc. by other programs.)
+ Export Start Menu groups BACK to Program Manager
  (Yes, it can be done now.)

Still to 'do'. They are kind of ordered in order of complexity:

- Don't bin files on removable/network drives
- Run program in DOS session
- Support macro's in shortcuts
- 'Send To' menu
- Recent Documents menu
- Format floppy disk
- Drag items from Start Menu properties dialog to
  icon windows or desktop.
- Load user cursors (.cur) files
- Refine tree update
- File type editor
- New File Browse dialog
- Import Control Panel items
- LFN support

Last one is a bit hopeless, as the co-author hasn't been involved for
over a year, and I don't have the knowledge to complete it on my own. I
am still looking for a free (pascal) library. The only pascal
implementation I know of isn't free :(

And there is absolutely no guarantee the other features will ever be
implemented. But you never know...

How about I start working on an XP interface for windows 95? :)

-- Erwin Dokter
   mailto:edokter@xxxxxxx
   http://members.home.nl/edokter