[calibrebooks] Re: reading

  • From: <roger.south@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calibrebooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 08:43:27 -0000

Hi Andrew

I've been itching to mention this one but was frightened I'd make more
members leave from high traffic. I'm reading the story of a lady who lost
her sight totally and in her early to mid 40's went round the world on the
back of her husband's motor cycle. Very interesting with some highly amusing
bits in it. The reader is Claire Francis. I don't know if it's the same one
who was the yachtswoman turned author or a coincidence in names. I think not
as this one sounds a lot younger. Extremely clear and précise voice but that
is her downfall to me. She sounds like one of those infuriating do-gooders
who treat us as a little less then normal. The "voice" you've heard them,
how are we today? With a stroke of the forearm. Would you like a cup of tea?
with an implied pat on the head.  They mean well but they do make me cringe.
Unfortunately the reader comes over like this but I'm getting used to her
and not noticing it so much now. That said it's a great book.

Roger