[cad-linux] Re: Parametric 3D a'la Revit [Was Re: 2D versus 3D thoughts]

  • From: "Jeffrey McGrew" <JMcGrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:21:44 -0800

Actually, AutoDesk only fired the marketing & sales team.
The developer team is still intact; and they are great guys. :)

> But seriously, folks, Revit
> has some great features and I highly recommend a demo
> for those not familiar with it.=20
>=20
> http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/section/0,,2436341-123112,00.html

Yes. It's the best platform I've seen yet for the building
industry. It's worth your time to see it, even if you're
not in the building industry, for it has many modern ideas
that are well worth looking into. It's core as developed by
the same two guys who were behind PTC technologies, the
ones who came up with 'parametric' and proengineer ten years ago.

> This is what I'd like to shoot for, a'la
> OpenOffice.org...

It would be great if whatever direction is chosen that
it be done in a way where non-technical people (i.e. us
architects) can contribute more than just Art. If things
were written in python, or better yet, done like the
'family editor' in Revit (where complex, intelligent
content can be quickly generated without any programming
via 3D modeling & defining parameters visually- almost
like those 'visual programming' experiments, where people
make programs by combining shapes and links and the computer
translates that into code for them) then it would be possible
for everyone to help out a lot more.

This, I think, is a major downfall of most open source software.
It's made by geeks, for other geeks, and as such it's development
methods can be inaccessible to non-geeks. For example, much
of what you can do in terms of data-tracking
with Revit can be done with 2D CAD tied
to some database; but I don't have the time to learn how to
run a good database & don't have the money to have someone
else set one up. Having it be made accessible to me via a
well-designed tool makes it possible for me to use it.

Just like Mandrake; I'm using it more and more. So now
I'm learning how to make themes, and art, and such
so that I might be able to give something back. Prior
to using Mandrake, I tried to use Deiban, but couldn't
get it to a workable state. Mandrake is easy to get
working, so now I'm free to figure out what I might
be able to do to help out as a non-programmer.

Just something to think about.

Jeffrey McGrew
Designer
Huntsman Architectural Group