[cad-linux] Re: Lets end the distro fight !

  • From: <alvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:18:12 -0800 (PST)

hi ya kim

On 17 Jan 2003, Kim Lux wrote:

> The real point to make in all this is:
>
> a) there are lots of distro flavors. That is a good thing.
> b) download.com is reporting over 1.5 million downloads of the recent
> versions of Linux.
>
> Truce. Truce ?

yes... but i think there is a good service that can be provided
if we can list which version of which cad apps runns under which
particular distro

- <fact> just because foo-x.y.z.rpm runs on  distro-x.y  does NOT mean
  it will run on the current distro  </fact>
        - and its such a pain to get it all right...

- usual solution is
        - dowload all the lastest patches
        - get the lastest of everything from the original sources
          ( everything that is broken )

and yes.. thats a lot of work to keep track of versions :-)

c ya
alvin