[cad-linux] Re: Just...

  • From: "Brian Johnson" <bjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 09:06:12 -0500

From my civil engineering viewpoint, any new CAD program should be very
flexible (ie provide the drafting tools) and any additional framework should
be built as an add-on package.

On any given week, our office is involved with building design (building
layout design after building code review and structural design), site work
(sewers, parking lots, roads and grading), and machinery drafting for safety
reviews - any built-in object design methodology had better include all of
these functions in order for it to be flexible for us to use it.  We are not
interested in using different packages for each function since it inevitably
leads to inconsistencies.

On the other end of the spectrum, I realize that other people/offices don't
need to be so versatile, so a simplified interface may be desired.

That's why we use AutoCAD ($5000) and not some house drafting program ($200)

I really think that as soon as you start building specialization into the
main CAD package, you severely limit the number of people interested in it.
A main CAD backend to handle the drafting with an API for interfaces to talk
to would be best.

Of course, in true open source style, I expect that any CAD package be built
to suit the purposes of the people writing it, any modification,
specialization could be left to someone else.

At this point, I need a reliable linux CAD package - 2D drawings objects,
paper space/model space, good layer control, good printing, good layer
control, and it has to be fast.  I've tried Intellicad under Windows but it
seems to bog down if your drawings exceed about 1 Mb

Any additional design tools would be appreciated, but they cannot act to
exclude other uses for the CAD program, they cannot slow down the program
too much, and they cannot be too difficult to use for the advantages they
offer (a la Autodesk Land Development Desktop).  Since it is difficult to
address all of the design tools that might be needed, I can't imagine that
anyone can provide them all, so a good backend should be the priority for
any new package (IMO)