[cad-linux] BRL-CAD participating in the 2011 Google Summer of Code

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:23:05 -0400

I'm delighted to announce that BRL-CAD has once again been accepted as a
mentoring organization for the 2011 Google Summer of Code (GSoC)! [1]  The
student application deadline is April 8th so students should get started on
their project proposals today.  Any students interested in joining the BRL-CAD
development team and working on a project this summer should visit our wiki
page [1] for more information.

[1] http://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

GSoC is a summer program hosted by Google every year where they pay students a
stipend of $5000 to work with specific open source organizations.  It's a
highly competitive program both for the students and for the mentoring
organizations.  This year, BRL-CAD was among more than 400 mentoring
organizations that applied with only 175 getting selected [2] to participate.
This will be our third year participating.

[2] http://code.google.com/soc/
[3] http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011

Since inception, GSoC has brought together more than 4500 students and 3000
mentors from more than 100 countries around the world to open source software
development.

One of the primary goals of the program is to introduce students to free open
source software development with the specific intent of attracting those
students as new long-term developers for that project.  For BRL-CAD, this is
our primary reason for participating.  With increased awareness, new
developers, and increased developer activity, we hope to accelerate BRL-CAD
development to benefit our entire user community.

We eagerly look forward to working with our students on their projects and will
be sure to share progress of our involvement throughout the summer.  Our
mentors can be reached via the brlcad-devel [4] mailing list and the #brlcad
IRC channel on irc.freenode.net:6667.

Cheers!
Sean

p.s. Feel free to spread the word and post our flyer [5] around local colleges
and universities.

[5] http://brlcad.org/gsoc/BRL-CAD_GSoC2011_flyer.pdf