[cad-linux] BRL-CAD and the 2009 Google Summer of Code

  • From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brlcad@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:17:59 -0400

For the second year in a row, BRL-CAD is accepted as a mentoring
organization into the Google Summer of Code [1] (GSoC) for 2009.
GSoC is a program specifically for students and select open source
communities (like BRL-CAD's) where Google pays students a stipend of
$4500 USD over the course of summer to work on an open source
software development project that the student proposes.

  [1] http://code.google.com/soc/

For any students interesting in applying, submissions must be made to
the GSoC web application [2] before April 3rd.

  [2] http://socghop.appspot.com/

Specifically for getting involved with BRL-CAD, we are seeking
students interested in applying as well individuals in the CAD
community that are interested in being a mentor.  Anyone that would
like to get involved should visit the BRL-CAD GSoC wiki pages [3] and
(for students) our suggested project ideas [4].  Similarly, feel free
to stop by for interactive discussion via IRC in #brlcad on Freenode
[5] or through the brlcad-devel mailing list [6].

  [3] http://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
  [4] http://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/Project_Ideas
  [5] http://irc.brlcad.org/

One of the primary goals of the program and BRL-CAD's participation
is to introduce students to free open source software development
with the specific intent of attracting new long-term developers to
our community.  Last year we had four students for BRL-CAD
participate (you can read about their projects on the wiki [3]) with
three that have continued to participate throughout the year.  We
look forward to working with those students and others again this
year as we continue to improve our interface, add new features, and
accelerate BRL-CAD development!

If you're a student or potential mentor and are interested in working
with on open source CAD this summer, please get in touch before the
April 3rd deadline.

Cheers!
Sean