[cad-linux-dev] uber-converter layers and styles

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 22:39:04 -0500

We had a meeting on #cadfs tonight about how to resolve the differences in the
handling of styles between autocad and pythoncad via the hub.

The hub must support the union of all of the connected file formats, so if
anyone has suggestions of others which should be connected to this hub, your
input would be great.

Updates here:
  http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/uber-converter/examples/

Scroll down to the 'styles1' section, and checkout the logs at
http://absurd.ds.pg.gda.pl:8435/Cad-Linux/cddf/Irc.Logs/2004.08.19.cadfs.html

One thing which I'm not certain about right now is how 'layer', 'object_style'
and other non-geometry entities should fit in terms of hierarchy.

While it makes sense to not divide circles from lines, what about dividing
layers from circles?  And what about dividing linetypes from layers?

In terms of data structures, lines and arcs seem to have more in common than
linetypes and layers.

--Eric
--
"Because understanding simplicity is complicated."
                                        --Eric Raymond