[cad-linux-dev] ouch! 1.9GB of memory and we still aren't done

  • From: Eric Wilhelm <ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:41:47 -0500

I tried running the dxf2rhizopod on a 136MB dxf with 1,000,000
circles.  Sadly, this isn't going to work.

my notes on the process and a proposed solution are here:

http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/svn/CAD-Drawing/trunk/data/notes/memory_usages.txt

This is similar to the issue which Art had solved with his dwg reader.
If anyone wants to tear into this python code, let me know.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if perl might be better suited to this
text-intensive process.  It seems that Perl is able to get to 4GB in
about 1/4 the time that it took python to hit 2.  Does anyone of
references comparing Perl's memory management to Python's?  In the
end, it may come down to simply a matter of text-reading speed, since
the best solution is to get this down to a manageable memory usage.

--Eric
--
"...our schools have been scientifically designed to
prevent overeducation from happening."