[cad-linux-dev] misc: dir based inheritence

  • From: "cr88192" <cr88192@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "CAD linux development" <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:56:05 +1000

probably not that interesting to you guys (ok, I have not been keeping up on
the recent conversation...).
this was more intended as a means for organizing resources, but might be
interesting.

I cam up with the idea that each directory (within some vfs or directory or
such) could be viewed as a class, which may inherit from other directories
(via use of a special file that lists, eg, what directories are inherited
from).

I started coding stuff for handling it. it is being tied into my vfs stuff,
I am making use of namespaces for this (since I allready had these, and the
approach seemed straightforward). at present everything is relative to the
simulated '/'.

eg, a name might look something like:
vfsdi:entity/misc/apple:model/apple.ac

refers to model/apple.ac in the "directory class" entity/misc/apple.

trying to access a directory through this namespace forces any directory
info to be loaded (eg: inheritence listings, the listings of any inherited
directories, ...).

ok, in this sense the entity definitions will just assume that everything is
based off of a single directory (by "entity" I mean some glob of files or
such that defines some object or another, the exact components of an
"entity" are left undefined at present...).

or such.