[cad-linux-dev] Re: image and viewport entities

  • From: bruno@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:40:14 +0100

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 03:10:13PM -0500, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Do we have a "blocks/" directory that these live in?  Seems that it
> would work the best, since you might need a block named "headers" or
> something.

Put them wherever you like, if they are referenced by file-paths they can
live anywhere - This is a matter for your import program.

Users who are using the format directly might want to create categories of
blocks:

    ./things/furniture/chairs/dining/

..whereas a drawing imported directly from AutoCAD might have blocks that
look like this:

    ./blocks/001/

> >- symbol: same as a block
>
> Okay, why are they called two things?

Block is an 'AutoCAD-ism', in most CAD packages the same thing is called
a 'symbol' or a 'group'.

> >- xref: a reference to a drawing outside of the current directory
>
> Right, but it would be good to be able to package these into the
> drawing.

The point about an xref is that it _is_ an external drawing.

> >- image: a block containing an image file
>
> This should just point to the image filename.

Why? when it would be simpler to render an image-file into a drawing
in exactly the same way as any other entity.

If you are worried about round-tripping from AutoCAD and back, you can
leave hints such as putting them all in an 'images/' sub-directory.

> >- viewport: a reference to a drawing + a boundary
>
> This brings up the issue of model/paper space again.  If you convert a
> dwg file with 5 layouts to rhizopod, do we need 6 directories?

5 sub-directories, it doesn't matter where.  In the top-level directory
you have 5 'print' elements pointing to each in turn.

--
Bruno