[cad-linux-dev] Re: UCS

  • From: "Jim parker" <jparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:06:31 -0400

Interesting ...

So you are assuming the coordinate system is always cartesain (I know I
do in GtkCAD).  Never thought about the possibility of an alternative
system.

cheers,

H. James Parker
Naval Architect
Gibbs and Cox, Inc.
office)  703-416-3625
fax)      703-416-3679
jparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx
This e-mail and any attachments contain privileged, business sensitive,
and/or proprietary information.  The information is intended to be for
the use of the individual or entity named.  If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic
transmission in error, please immediately notify the Gibbs & Cox, Inc.
Security Supervisor at 703.416.1240 or via email at
Security@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

>>> ewilhelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 8/26/2004 5:01:52 PM >>>
# The following was supposedly scribed by
# Janek Kozicki
# on Thursday 26 August 2004 02:59 pm:

>speaking of UCS, I always dreamed about adding UCSes like mercator
>projection, or spherical projection. So that you could draw a map on
> a 2D plane, then just switch UCS to spherical, and voila - you got
> a map on a 3D globe.

This is not likely to be storable in rhizopod.  Maybe sardine.

You could of course implement this in a program that uses the rhizopod

hub, but it would require a "system_type" or some other attribute to
the UCS entity which would not be preservable across conversions.

Regardless, the entities will always be stored in world coordinates in

rhizopod, so the usage of this would be up to the program (e.g. the
entered coordinates would have to be calculated into WCS before
storing them.)

--Eric
--
"Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse."
                                        --Murphy's Corollary