[cad-linux-dev] Re: Assistance

  • From: "cr88192" <cr88192@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:55:11 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nabil Mohamed" <ptnabeel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <cad-linux-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 11:16 AM
Subject: [cad-linux-dev] Assistance

> Sir
> I am an Engineering student at LBS College of Engineering, Kerala, India.
> Currently I am in my final semester and am on with my project in
connection
> with the fulfillment of the course. There are five of us who are actually
> working on the project. We were given a project based on CAD. The central
> idea behind the project is to design a Web-based CAD tool. What we
actually
> mean by web-based is that it is not necessary for the workstation to have
> stand alone CAD software, instead CAD drawings could be made virtually
from
> anywhere in a network. Opening, editing and saving the file should also be
> remote.Since we are at the preliminary stage of the project we don't have
> much of any idea of the web based features and how to implement them.
> Especially, if we are to imploement a document format like DXF, how is it
> that this can be achieved.
>
> We would like to have a basic outline of how to develop the software-what
> language to be used; how can we make it web based; how are the different
> tools defined and if they involve classes how should the hierarchies
follow
> and other essential information on developing a  CAD tool. We believe that
> Java could be the most suitable language. We would be very much obliged
and
> overwhelmed to receive a response as any information provided by you will
be
> very valuable.

well, this is out of my field but:
java should work;
flash might work (I am not very fammiliar with flash, so I can't tell).

I am not sure what features are built into javascript enough to know if it
would be usable for this (eg: if it can do drawing and handle user
input...).

likely you could have a custom server running which handles the models and
otherwise operates the client. this could be: a customized http server
(really, http servers are not that complicated, thus writing one is not that
big of a deal), a specialized standalone server, or maybe some cgi scripts
running on the server, or some combination therof.

probably the server could sit there telling the client of changes to the
model, with the client doing drawing and sending commands to the server and
such.

or something...
I don't know.