[bvipilots] Re: How Blind friendly is the active sky next weather program add on?

  • From: Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 20:15:01 -0400

Ok, thanks. Does anyone know if there is an actual benefit to 2016 for blind users? Reason I ask is I bought the Active Sky Next version through steam and it looks like I can't get upgrade pricing on 2016 if I have the Steam version.

On 2017-03-24 8:00 PM, Zachary Kline wrote:

Jason et al,

Actually, the ActiveSky UI is pretty accessible if you use NVDA object navigation or equivalent to explore it, and limit yourself to one window at a time. You don’t need to use it very often, assuming you just want to fly with accurate real-time weather.

You do want to launch it, or ensure it’s running in your system tray, at any rate, before you start FSX.
Best,
Zack.
On Mar 24, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:jfayre@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have ActiveSky Next, purchased from Steam.

The UI isn't all that accessible unfortunately.
For those of you with ActiveSky 2016, do you need to run ActiveSky before you run fsx and load a flight. It looks like you need to with ActiveSky Next.

On 2017-03-24 7:38 PM, Jordan Gallacher wrote:

I wouldn’t get Active Sky Next. It is the old version of Active Sky at this point. Active Sky 2016 is what you want. All you have to do is install it, say yes to the dialogue boxes that come up the first time you run it and you are all set.

Jordan