[bvipilots] Re: Asking a E T A question.

  • From: Robert Cezar <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 19:53:54 -0700

Hi Ron,

I honestly have no idea how to explain it any other way. The Co-Pilot looks
at the clock at a point in space about 36,000 feet above the ground, and
calculates how long it will take the aircraft to travel from that point in
space to the gate at the destination airport. Or, in other terms, it is an
approximation of the remaining time from the current location to the
destination airport, based upon current ground speed, typical rates of
descent and approach times.

r :)