[bvipilots] A present for my fellow BVI Pilots.

  • From: "Ron Kolesar" <kolesar16417@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "B V I Pilots" <bvipilots@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:20:41 -0400

Hi to all.
Thanks to Robert, we now can figure out our climb, Leveled cruising ALT and how to figure out when to start our descent.
I found a online calculator to help us all out.
Go to
www.travelmath.com/flights
For we the BVI pilot, it is a little tricky to find the correct fields at first. Because you need to do a page down a few times to quickly find the fields that we need to plug in our Departure and arrival cities.
But play with it.
But from after playing with the web page, I found it to be pretty BVI Pilot friendly.
Now let's take Robert's example that he gave in the flight deck.
I looked up the distance in the calculator the distance between Erie PA and New Cumberland PA, which is Harrisburg.
The distance is
212 miles / 341 Knots.
Robert, do we use knots or MPH?
Ok, with that said I think I found a answer for the formulas.
I'm going to use my new Dassault Falcon 7x which a TOC is 51,000 or 510.
So we try and devide 212 by three and we will get 70 miles out. three into 21 is 7 and rounding the end to 0 we get 70 miles out.
Is this correct Robert.
If I'm wrong please educate me.
So we have 70 miles climbing, 70 miles cruising and 70 miles for our descent. Since we have a alt of 70 miles, if we devide 70 by three we get 3 goies into 7 twice equals 2 and then three would go into ten three times, giving us a rough estimate of starting our descent at 23 miles out.
Now did I do this correct Robert?
If not, please educate me.
Hope all can use the new link.
The Blind Pilot.