[burpg] Re: Fun facts update

  • From: Armor Harris <armorharris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <burpg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:52:19 -0700

Just a little update to the update
The motivation behind throttling is actually stability. Our trajectory sims
were showing that we were burning out too low and our dynamic pressure was
too high. Because the rocket is actually negatively stable, if we burn out
in these conditions we do a hyperflip, which is a hypersonic flip that
shreds the rocket in the upper atmosphere. Throttling down at T+30 sec
allows us to kind of ride our momentum from earlier in the flight and
burnout outside of the atmosphere.

Total burn time is 60 sec

We're not committed to building a new test stand, as we haven't ruled out
being able to make the existing one work. It's just an idea that has been
thrown out. But we do need to make that decision soon in order to support a
cold flow test in November.

JPEG image

PNG image

JPEG image